Tonari Gumi’s new program guide for the months of July and August is now available by clicking on this LINK.
Programs open for registration starting at 9:00 a.m. on Monday, June 16, 2014. Registration can be made for all programs and activities by providing a completed registration form and submitting it with full payment to our offices at 42 W8th Ave. in Vancouver or by phoning (604) 687-2172. Payment can be made by cheque or credit card. On-line registration is possible only for “E” category (Saturday) programs.
Among the featured programs for July are the following:
- Homebound Program (July 7 – 21): each Monday during the month of July from 10:30 am to 2:30 pm. This program is for seniors are frail or handicapped and who have difficulties in getting out on their own. The program includes some exercise, a tasty Japanese-style lunch and cultural and recreational activities in a warm and welcoming atmosphere. Some transportation can also be arranged if necessary.
- Tonari Gumi’s Lunch Program (July 4 – 25): each Monday and Friday from 11:45 am to 12:45 pm our volunteers prepare delicious and wholesome Japanese-style lunches. Lunch reservations are requested with reservations for the Monday lunch on the Thursday of the prior week and Friday lunch by the Wednesday of that week.
- Beginners Japanese Language Class (July 8 -22): each Tuesday from 10:00 am to 11:30 am. Learn how to sing Japanese songs over this 3 week period. Ability to read hiragana and katakana is not required.
- Walking Program (July 9): on this Wednesday, there will be a one hour walk in Burnaby’s Central Park & a bento lunch.
- Senior Outreach Activity (July 24): on this Thursday, starting at 9:00 am, there will be an outing to the new Squamish gondola by chartered bus.
- Intermediate Japanese Language Class (July 2 – 23): on every Wednesday in July, learn to improve your Japanese ability.
- On Saturday there are new programs such as a Dumbbell & Pole Stretching Class; Hula Dancing Class for non-seniors, Needle Felting Class, workshops on Decorative Sushi Making, etc.
In August, there will also be a number of activities such as a continuation of the Dumbbell & Pole Stretching Class (Aug. 9 – 30); our Hula Dancing Class for non-seniors (Aug. 9 – 30) and a Mother & Child Fancy Roll Sushi Workshop (Aug. 9). There will also be walking at Deer Lake on Aug. 11; a Saba Sushi workshop (Aug. 12 – 13); Osteofit (Aug. 14 & 28); Hula Dance for seniors (Aug. 14 – 28); Thai Yoga (Aug. 14 – 28); Kuishinbo-kai (Aug. 25) and a French Cooking Class on Aug. 27.
Please check out all of the many and varied programs for both seniors and non-seniors. Programs described in English in the Program Guide are bilingual, but if you have some basic Japanese ability you are welcome to participate in any of the many different programs and workshops. Everyone is welcome! Call Tonari Gumi if you have any questions.