Last month, I provided information regarding the status of the building renovations and the anticipated timing of our move to the new facilities. However, as often happens in the case of renovations, while many parts of the work have moved forward as scheduled, there have also been some further delays as the elevator, floors, walls and painting need to be completed. In addition, before we can begin operations in the new facilities, we need to receive final approvals and an occupancy permit from the City inspectors. Here are some schedule updates:
· Office activities at 511 East Broadway (current location): the office will be open as usual until we begin our move near the middle of October.
· Tonari Gumi Programs & Activities (including library & DVD lending): as noted above, we cannot begin regular programs and activities until we have all of the approvals from the city authorities. Current plans are for the move to the new building to be completed between mid to late October.
· Move to the new facilities at 42 West 8th Avenue: we will be moving things into the new building starting in mid-October and expect to have the move completed by late October. Our new phone number will remain the same and so if you wish to contact staff or visit our offices during mid-October, please call in advance.
· Expected Opening of our Office in the New Facilities: Current expectation is that we will be able to begin office operations in our new facilities at the beginning of November.
· Start of Tonari Gumi Programs & Services (including library & DVD lending) in the new facilities: we hope to begin regular programs and services near the middle of November.
Further details concerning when the office will open and regular programs and activities will begin will be provided through our website (www.dev.tonarigumi.ca) and a newsletter which will be sent to members as soon as information becomes available. We appreciate your patience and understanding as we fully complete our new facilities. Please note some of the latest pictures of how the work is progressing.